Saturday 1 March 2014

Dining With Quentin Blake

I am currently suffering from major post-holiday blues and speed writing my essay so I'm ready for heaps of pancakes at church tomorrow. But right now I'd like to skip back a few weeks to a time when I technically dined with Quentin Blake.

I say 'technically' because what this actually means is that I ate my boots meal deal whilst in the same room as him before his talk at the Southbank centre... But that counts, right?


I had four favourite parts to the evening.

Firstly, walking in London by night. I don't know why, but I love the night. Jeanette Winterson explains it better than me. Running in the night is even better.

Secondly, the atmosphere in the room. The room was small, with incredible floor to ceiling windows looking out onto the River Thames with the London Eye and nearly everyone in the room seemed to be an artist or illustrator. It was pretty inspiring to see people paint and sketch Quentin Blake as he spoke. Art is a nice way to remember things, I'd like to do this more.

Thirdly, one of Quentin's stories. He read us two letters he had received from a hospital patient. They explained how Quentin's art had had such a profound impact that this patient now felt ready to enter the world of work again because of it. Art can heal, I find this awesome.

Finally, actually seeing Quentin Blake in person! Roald Dahl's books teamed with Quentin Blake's illustrations were a major part of my childhood and so to see the man himself and hear him speak was amazing. We even made eye contact. I think I'm a little star struck.



1 | 2 | 3 | 4

~ ~ ~

Bird Song by Florence + the Machine | White Winter Hymnal by Fleet Foxes - awesome video

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome experience - Quentin Blake's illustrations in the Roald Dahl books are so iconic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it was incredible to see him in person when I thought about all those books he had illustrated throughout my childhood!xx

      Delete
  2. sounds so interesting- I absolutely loved his illustrations as a child and still do now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds amazing! What an incredible experience and I totally understand the whole London at night thing. When you're coming from somewhere random walking along all the hustle and bustle in the dark almost gives me butterflies?!

    The illustrations were a massive part of my childhood too - love Roald Dahl!

    Katie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly and to run in the darkness is just so so so lovely!xx

      Delete
  4. that sounds like such a great evening! i love the fact people were drawing him, i wish people appreciated doodlers more often, like my french teacher for instance...really craving pancakes now! xx
    The Frill Seeker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha teachers should definitely give more marks for doodles! Hope you managed to get some pancakes on shrove Tuesday!!xx

      Delete
  5. Great post this sounds awesome :) The illustrations are super cute too!

    xx opinionslave.com

    PS- I would love for you to enter my $250 Topshop giveaway on Instagram :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an incredible evening =)

    I've gotten used to the hustle & bustle of London now, and I find it so dreamy and different when I go somewhere quiet for a change!

    {Teffy's Perks} X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha I'm still super excited every time I go, wonder how long I'll be like that for!xx

      Delete
  7. oh my god i'm so envious!!! quentin blake is my favorite illustrator! i love himmmmmm!!! all my favorite childhood books, the roal dahl ones and the italian bianca pitzorno ones, were illustrated by him! when i am rich i will buy his swimmer print! http://www.quentinblakeprints.com/index.php/prints/qb-studio-prints/swimmers/product/118-swimmers-4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that print!! So glad someone else understands my obsessions!!xx

      Delete